How about a little mini tutorial today? When you pick up a camera, what do you think of as you are about to take a photo?
For me it is always about what I am seeing through the lens and this is the basis for all my photography. I am not always concerned with the settings on the camera but they do come into play. What your eyes see, is actually more interesting to me than anything else.
Note the photo above. It was taken with the instagram app on my iphone. One of the best inventions that I have seen so far. Why? well if you have an iphone-you always have a built-in camera with you. No fumbling with lenses, bulky equipment or the like. Just pull it out of your pocket, select the app and then line up what you want to shoot.
The basic elements of design include the following: line, shape, value, color, space and texture. Combined they make up a “composition” which in turn can become a piece of art, an interior space, architecture, a landscape or as in this case a photograph.
Each element was used in this photo.
1. line: can be represented by the artwork, the branches, and the different horizontal and vertical planes.
2. shape: occurs again with the branches and the telephone. It also occurs in the chinese lanterns in the artwork.
3. value: in this photo is the contrast of light and dark created by the wall color, the artwork and the furnishings.
4. color: obviously there is a lot of color in this photo. I am particularly drawn to the contrast between the orange and the blue and how white and black are also used to balance the heaviness of the darker colors.
5. space: I was drawn into this space due to the color and the placement of the objects on the counter. They are not cluttered but instead give a feeling of clean lines and hip urbaness. 9if that is a word)
6. texture: is achieved with the branches but also with all the smooth surfaces surrounding them. They feel slick yet relaxed.
What makes it interesting for you? I’d love to know in the comments.
For me, it is how all these elements relate to one another. They are laid out intentionally and have a method to their placement. They are pleasing to the eye and always interesting.
Want to learn more about composition, color and photography? Join me for Through Your Eyes at Create Explore Discover.
Have a great Thursday everyone.
through photography, art, and good design, we create products that capture the joy of local life and everyday surroundings.
join our VIP list to receive first access, special treats and designs.